OIL PRESSURE WARNING LIGHT - DOES IT INDICATE THE QUALITY OF THE FILTER?
Many people think that the quicker the oil pressure warning light goes off after replacing the oil filter, the better the quality of the installed filter. However, the time after the warning light goes off does not in any way indicate the quality of the filter. If the system works correctly, the light turns on because the newly installed filter is empty for a brief moment. After a few seconds, the oil from the oil gallery reaches the interior of the filter and the light goes off.
There may be a problem if after starting the engine, the low oil pressure warning light does not go off after a while. In this case, turn off the engine immediately and check the engine oil level. Add more oil if necessary. If the warning light does not go off at the correct oil level, it may be caused by one of the following reasons:
- The oil pressure sensor may be malfunctioning.
- The cable between the warning light and the sensor may be damaged.
- The oil pump is not filled with oil (may be aerated).
- Obstruction of the line connecting the oil pump to the oil pan.
- High wear of the engine (bushes, bearings), and thus too low pressure in the oil gallery.
The reason for the oil warning light not going off may also be the condition of the filter:
- The flow resistance may be too high due to the installation of an incorrect or weak filter
- Filling the filter after its expiry date
By using FILTRON oil filters, you can be sure that if the oil pressure warning light does not go off after replacement then it is not related to a malfunction of the filter. Each FILTRON oil filter is manufactured on modern, automated production lines operated by qualified specialists. The effectiveness of our filters and the quality of the raw materials used are constantly monitored and controlled in our laboratory.
The FILTRON range holds more than 2700 products, and covers 97% of the European passenger-car market. Mechanics appreciate the high quality of the FILTRON-brand filters. Every year, more than 36 million FILTRON filters find their way to mechanics from all the European countries.